People talking

Tell me about sexual health and infection

Condoms in pocket

Are you looking for accurate information on sexual health? Do you want to find your local sexual health service options? Check out the links below *

Young people (under 25 years)

Men who have sex with Men

Women who have sex with Women

Finding Services

Information on STIs

Find out about Chlamydia (Chlamydia trachomatis, or “Ct”)

Chlamydia is the most commonly diagnosed sexual infection in the UK. Most people do not have any symptoms, but an untreated infection can result in complications. Chlamydia is tested for routinely at NHS sexual health clinics and some GP surgeries and is easily treated by antibiotics.

Find out about Genital Warts

Genital warts are caused by the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), it is the second most common STI in England, and is spread by skin-to-skin contact. Treatment for genital warts is available at NHS clinics.

Find out about Gonorrhoea (Neisseria gonorrhoeae, or “Ng”)

Gonorrhoea is caused by the bacteria Neisseria gonorrhoeae. Many men who are infected have symptoms but almost half of women who are infected have no symptoms. Gonorrhoea is tested for routinely at NHS sexual health clinics. For information about symptoms and testing please see links:

Find out about Genital Herpes

Genital herpes is caused by the herpes simplex virus. There are two types of herpes simplex virus (HSV), type 1 and type 2. Both types are highly contagious and can be passed easily from one person to another by direct contact. There is no cure for genital herpes, however treatment to help manage outbreaks can be obtained through the NHS.

Find out about Trichomonas vaginalis, or (“TV”)

Find out about Mycoplasma genitalium (or, MG)

Mycoplasma genitalium is one of the organisms that can cause non-specific urethritis (NSU). NSU is also known as non-gonococcal urethritis (NGU). Although there is growing evidence of infection caused by Mycoplasma genitalium in certain populations, it is not currently tested for on the NHS.

  • Information on NSU/NGU can be found on the NHS website

* Although we do our best to make sure that we link to websites where you can find information that is up-to-date and factually accurate, we cannot take responsibility for the content on external websites. It is best to seek the advice of your healthcare provider if you have specific questions about your personal health.